Thursday, November 29, 2012

Goals Suck (NaNoWriMo EPIC Fail)



How has your writing been going? 
Mine? Glad you asked. Well. Um. Let's see... EPIC FAIL!!!!


Ok. I got a little shake down. Enough to necessitate a grand reevaluation. Or something perhaps less dramatic.  Needless to say here’s the deal:  goals suck. At least that is my experience with them.  Every time I make a goal I seem to lose track of it and then I’m once again looking at all deals off the table.  Take my mad endeavor (however well-intended) at National Novel Writing Month…completely a bust.  That is of course unless I manage to write practically an entire novel within the next two days.   

Not going to happen.   

Though I have done it all in my head.  And if we are going to follow that path then along with that goal I’ve been doing hundreds of sit-ups and push-ups and gobs and gobs of calisthenics daily.   I’ve also given up eating processed foods, quit smoking, and built a greenhouse for year round fresh organic vegetables.  I don’t know how I managed to do all of that and still find the time to finally piece together that coffee table book, a.k.a the 40 Acre Pond Project.  It looks wonderful.  

I’ve also, thankfully, had the time to make sure that at least every few pages a perfectly sculpted poem blossoms and accompanies the images of the trail that I’ve photographed now for two years.  It’s lovely.  I’ve also decided to hand stitch a few of the books for a select group of near friends.   

While not working on those things I’ve managed to start my own video series, where I play my own twin, and we discuss our latest creations and ridiculous habits that we, as only twins can, are able to admire in one another.  Which reminds me I’m glad I’ve had the extra spare personality help to get all of this done.  In fact, just so you know, I haven’t just written one novel during NaNoWriMo I’ve managed to actually write four. They’ve been a pleasure.  

I’ve also managed to make my own video trailers for these books.  They will be out on youtube soon.  There is also a plethora of short stories I’ve made available now on Amazon for your favorite e-reader.  And then, dear reader, I looked up and November was gone. How had this month like so many before vanished into nothingness?  Nothing to show for a month worth of time.  I can’t even blame it on a drunken social life, or far worse, an isolated drunken abandon.  

Nope.   

I’ve been ridiculously dry and pathetically un-social.  Perhaps I could chalk it up to the beginning of my hibernation cycle.  After all, it is winter arriving.  But yes, I know, the truth is…well the truth is just that I’ve been frozen by a parasitic assault on my productivity front.   

The thoughts are all there. Swimming around and gelling and congealing and all that artsy-fartsy poetic dumbness that is merely an excuse for not getting things done.   Time to freak out on myself. Time to hold me up in the room until things are finished (or at least adequately begun!)  Did I mention the internet connection has finally arrived here?  Oh boy.  Now comes the real time for self-discipline! And they say the end of the world is coming! The new official goal is an un-goal. The thorough folding into the batter of this life a heavy helping of absolutely no goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment