Thursday, November 1, 2012

New November plus NaNoWriMo Kicks Off

After spending much of yesterday taking a few extra long breaks contemplating the fact that I was less than 24 hours away from the big kick off of NaNoWriMo, the day has finally arrived. For those of you that may not be familiar with NaNoWriMo it stands for National Novel Writing Month.  It is held each November and followed by something like 300,000 people. 

The exciting aspect about it for me is the entire notion that there is a collective all actively pursuing this self-imposed deadline. While I would like to think that my own allegiance to the goal is completely devoid of my inner masochist the truth is naught.  However, it is a fun journey and I'm looking forward to the process.  I've never attempted it so this shall definitely be an adventure.

I was so glad this bird posed for the shot. Makes me a bit sad though.

Along with being a novel month for myself, it also marks the beginning of this new blog. I have attempted blogging before and have failed miserably at being able to continually set standards of achievement with my productivity.  The goal this time is to actually blog.  It's pretty hard to actually have a blog if I am too busy cleaning cupboards or organizing my desk.  I hereby deem this month as New November.

As your resident 'blogger' I will try my best to make sure that I keep this blog: up-to-date, relative, informative, and useful.  Above and beyond all of these things though I am going to embed it with as much honesty as possible.  Honesty, whether you know it or not, can be one of the toughest things to moderate. 

It is so easy to tell somebody one thing or another just to make them feel good.  For instance, the other day a friend of mine was singing to me a song that she had written.  Kudos for her.  I'm happy she is writing and singing.  The song however was the same searing overly dramatic cry for attention from her unrequited Beau that she had been unknowingly singing every time she opened her mouth for the previous 6 months. On top of everything she was singing just like she were Adele.  If you want to sing like Adele all the more power to you, I had thought to myself, but I refuse to standby and watch a friend try to get on The Voice just because she can sound like Adele.  Adele can sound like Adele. I like Adele. I do not like my friend trying to claim that her Adele-like method of articulation is an original expression of her feelings.  It wasn't easiest being honest with her. 

It's that sort of honesty I think that can be the hardest to give.  It is difficult because you aren't really trying to hurt anybody's feelings. Or destroy dreams.  But why all the eggshells I ask myself?  Yes I know I'm totally opening myself up to anybody that reads this.  Clearly I'm inviting all sorts of tirades against me.  You can't dish it out if you aren't willing to take it.  But the bottom line I'm getting to though is that I promise I will do my best to remain honest with myself and all readers.  It may not be the best writing, it may not always be quirky and funny, it may not always be sensitive and caring.  It will not always be ranting, it will not always be intelligent, it will not always be dry. But it will be truthful.

This is my new Hub. (a clever play on words, I do say). 

No comments:

Post a Comment